Saturday, March 30, 2013

Adventures in quilting

Years before I learned to knit, I learned to quilt. I was taught by my mom and sister, who are avid quilters. This spring, I learned to knit on a long-arm machine. It was a bit of a fluke that I even took the class. My sister signed up, but ended up being out of town. So, here I was, a replacement quilter... taking the class with my mom. Well, I am officially hooked. We have gone to rent the long-arm twice now, and today I finished quilting my first project on the machine. Oh my goodness! The possibilities!

A couple of years ago, we also took a class about quilting on smaller machines, by not engaging the foot. Well, this blows that class out of the water. Granted, the project I completed from the first class was a lot of fun, but my machine is just no equal to this beauty:

This machine is at a cute quilt shop in Tacoma called Calico Threads.

Taking the quilting class has definitely renewed my passion for quilting. I have just completed the quilt from oh... a class I took in 2011ish for quilting. It was a lot of fun to make, but really time-intensive. It was one of those projects where I just had to force myself to finish it.

This quilt is a fun technique where you just start sewing new pieces onto the main piece of fabric as over-sewing, so it can have really random edges and curves. It was a lot of fun to do, and somehow in the process of making it, a bird started appearing. After I realized the bird was there, the rest of the quilt started to take shape. I started where the lower of the birds is and added a second bird. It turned into a great wall hanging that will soon be hanging for all to see.
While my next quilt will be from a pattern, this quilt catered to my more abstract tendencies. Now all I have to do is finish the quilt from today... whee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers