Thursday, June 20, 2013

Quilt Shop Hop

This week is the 2013 Western Washington Quilt Shop Hop. This will be my second shop hop, after my first last year. While my mom and sister got their quilt squares finished within months, I hadn't started my squares by the end of last year. Early on this year, I decided to do two things to prepare for this year:

1. Take Friday off (2 days out of 5 isn't long enough). While the shop hop goes Wednesday - Sunday, I knew adding one day would make a big difference.

2. Get the squares done before the next hop.

Well, item 1 was pretty easy... but item 2 has been a challenge. I decided to really challenge myself when I was noticing there were only 3 months left, and I had only done one of the 18 squares I wanted to create.

I decided to do 18 and create a "U" shaped quilt that would end up being a tree skirt. The reason behind this is that last year's secondary fabrics were red, green, blue, and white. These are perfect colors for Christmas, and I had been wanting a tree skirt for a while. Once I picked out the 18 (of 30ish choices) patterns that my Mom, sister, and I gathered, I was set to go. The squares are each 8", so it will be a pretty sizable skirt. I already have a great Christmas blanket (my very first quilt), so I wanted to do something a bit different with it. Here's a quick idea of what it's going to look like:

The sad fact is... I didn't make it. Here I am on the verge of my first shop of the 2013 shop hop, and there are many squares unfinished. Granted, I was able to get 17 of the 18 pieced, but 7 of the 17 need applique. What was a valiant effort, ended up not being enough. However, it is still my plan to get the tree skirt done in the next month or two. I have some Halloween fabric calling my name, but I have to get one project done first...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers